Friday, December 27, 2013

December

Christmas away from family never really feels like Christmas. I've had this song "Christmas in the Northwest" stuck in my head all day. It plays on all of the Seattle radio stations repeatedly starting the day after Thanksgiving, and usually drives everyone crazy by Christmas day, but I can't help but feel nostalgic for it right now. 

The Saturday before Christmas the US Embassy hosted a holiday party for the Peace Corps volunteers and staff. It was bittersweet because it was also an unofficial going away party for many of the J15s, the volunteers who have completed their 27 months of service and are headed home for good. Before the party, two friends and I went to Taj Mall, Amman's nicest mall that added a giant fake Christmas tree, cardboard snowflakes and a small skating rink for the holidays. We sat at the Starbucks and watched little kids skate on the fake ice and pose in front of the tree.  Maybe it was because I was tired  (cough cough) from the night before spent celebrating my best friend's birthday and sad because of the pending goodbyes, but instead of being comforted by something that kinda resembled home, I was more just annoyed by the overdose of holiday consumerism.

The party was nice. We enjoyed each others company and the free holiday style lunch- turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and pie. The goodbyes were hard.  But the bonds I formed with some of them are strong enough that I'm confident I'll see them again.

I spent Christmas day with a few volunteer friends. We made dinner and gingerbread cookies and listened to Christmas carols, doing our best to improvise a semi-regular Christmas. I got to talk to, and see, my family via Skype (thank you technology!)

A couple of weeks ago there was a huge snowstorm that hit much of the Middle East, Jordan being no exception. Most of the country got completely covered in white blankets, some areas accumulated as much as 4 feet. School and work was cancelled for 9 days straight. It was cold and extremely difficult to get around, but it was beautiful and did allow for some fun.




I've heard that this is the worst storm to hit the area in 60 years and people are predicting it to be the beginning of a harsh winter. I may complain about my windows being a little thin and my space heater not radiating quite enough heat, but I am thankful for having the amenities to keep warm. It's important to remember that many of the people in the world don't have these resources, or have been stripped of them because of natural disaster or war. Stay humble, be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment