Sunday, January 13, 2013

A trip to the Dead Sea

On my second to last day in village, I got invited for a last minute trip to the Ma'in hot springs. When we got there, they tried to make us pay the "tourist" price of 15JD rather than the local price of 10JD. After failing at bargaining, we decided to go to a free hot spring down by the Dead Sea. It was beautiful winding down through the mountains and finally arriving at the lowest point on earth! It was truly breathtaking. We arrived around 5, as the sun was beginning to set. I went with 3 other volunteers and Rami, one of our Arabic teachers. The Dead Sea is only about 45 minutes away from my village, but about 10 or 15 degrees warmer. As you can see from my previous post, it has been quite cold so was nice to be able to take off a few layers.

The Dead Sea

    
Tom, me, Rami, and Daniel in front of the Dead Sea   



The boys got to go in the hot springs, but, being the only female, I only put my feet in. The hot springs we originally were planning on going to has a women only area- next time I'll bring some lady friends and hopefully my residency card so I can get in for just 10JD.

Regardless, the water was warm and as the sun went down the stars came out and it was wonderful being outside, at night, in January, and not freezing. We finished the night with some gawha (coffee) while waiting for our taxi to bring us home.

I came home in time to make a quick trip to the dukaan ("supermarket" but really candy store"), drink some nescafe and eat chocolate, and snuggle up with my host sisters and cousin.

All in all a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment